Using Google Chrome?

Download my
free Chrome Extension, Power Notes Searcher, to make searching for and evaluating SAP notes, much easier.

Recent Posts

Monday, January 09, 2012

"Fix" Control and ORA-00940: invalid ALTER command

Print Friendly and PDF
Upon startup of an Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database I received Oracle error:
ORA-00940: invalid ALTER command

I eventually managed to narrow this down to a “_fix_control” setting.

The database is for an SAP system and the init.ora was updated after following SAP note 830576 (Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g).
I noticed that I had misread the note and applied a “_fix_control” parameter setting for a slightly (only by a patchset update) higher version of Oracle.

Take care when reading this note and make sure you test the startup and shutdown of the database before going home!

UPDATE: This is a bug.  See here.

No comments: