Using Google Chrome?

Download my
free Chrome Extension, Power Notes Searcher, to make searching for and evaluating SAP notes, much easier.

Recent Posts

Saturday, October 29, 2011

DBUA "You do not have OS authentication" - Fat Fingers

Print Friendly and PDF
The other day, I was upgrading an Oracle 10.2.0.2 database to 10.2.0.5 using DBUA (it has it's benefits and provides a nice consistent approach when under pressure, providing it's used with care).

I constantly got the request to enter the password for a DB user with SYSDBA privileges.
I didn’t have the SYS or SYSTEM user passwords (really!), but the OS user I was using definitely was a member of the group that is compiled into the config.o library (see MYOS note “SYSDBA and SYSOPER Privileges in Oracle [ID 50507.1]”):

For reference, you check on UNIX by:

cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
cat config.[c|s]


Checking the values for SYS_DBA and SYS_OPER against the UNIX groups your user is a member of (use the "groups" command).

The solution: this was simple, the Oracle home had been manually added into the /etc/oratab file and had been misspelled.  If only it didn't take 45 minutes to find it!
Correcting /etc/oratab and restarting DBUA fixed the problem.

I guess DBUA was just plain lying and it didn't have the heart to tell me that I was about to upgrade a database when it couldn't find the Oracle home.  Shame on you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I had the same issue with wrong oratab file. Thanks!